Service Year Alliance is working to make a year of paid, full-time service — a service year — a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.
We envision a future in which national service — including civilian, military, and public service — is part of growing up in America.
We believe civilian national service should:
- Exist at scale, engaging at least one million young Americans in civilian national service annually
- Address America’s unmet needs
- Bridge divides and fuel civic renewal
- Be an opportunity for all
- Build pathways to long-term success for individuals who serve through benefits and connectivity to future education and careers
What We Do
Service Year Alliance works to increase public and private investments in the service year ecosystem.
We do this by developing and documenting evidence in priority focus areas to persuade decision makers — including federal, state, and local legislators, as well as private sector leaders — to unlock funds for service years.
To achieve our mission, we advance four areas of work: programs, partnerships, policy, and communications:
- Program and resource development in priority focus areas
- Partnerships, including coalition building, and corporate, community, and research partnerships
- Policy & Government Relations work that unlocks public funds to create the opportunity for all young Americans to serve
- Communications to elevate service years as an experience that transforms lives, strengthens communities, and fuels civic renewal