Service Year Alliance is working to make a year of paid, full-time service — a service year — a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.
We envision a future in which national service — including civilian, military, and public service — is part of growing up in America.
We believe civilian national service should:
- Exist at scale, engaging at least one million young Americans in civilian national service annually
- Address America’s unmet needs
- Bridge divides and fuel civic renewal
- Be an opportunity for all
- Build pathways to long-term success for individuals who serve through benefits and connectivity to future education and careers
What We Do
Service Year Alliance is working to make a year of paid, full-time service — a service year — a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans. We envision a future in which national service is part of growing up in America.
In order to reach our vision with more people serving than ever before, we must prioritize equity so that every young person has access to national service opportunities, no matter their background, and those who serve develop the skills they need to succeed post-service.
To advance our mission, we focus on expansion, recruitment, and impact.
- Expansion: We build support from external stakeholders to make the recent expansions of national service successful in this new era.
- Recruitment: We bring the next generation of youth into national service, modernize their experience using ServiceYear.org, and align the field around shared recruitment efforts and systems.
- Impact: We foster collaborative approaches to demonstrate the impact of service years by lifting up exemplary programs and communities.
How to Work with Us
- Partner with us — as a youth-facing organization, an employer or higher education institution, a workforce development organization, or state and local leader looking to utilize national service.
- Become a champion — use your voice to lift up the power of service years to transform lives, strengthen communities, and fuel civic renewal.
- Fund us — join us in our effort to make a service year a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.