Service Year Alliance is working to make a year of paid, full-time service — a service year — a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.
We envision a future in which national service — including civilian, military, and public service — is part of growing up in America.
We believe civilian national service should:
- Exist at scale, engaging at least one million young Americans in civilian national service annually
- Address America’s unmet needs
- Bridge divides and fuel civic renewal
- Be an opportunity for all
- Build pathways to long-term success for individuals who serve through benefits and connectivity to future education and careers
What We Do
Service Year Alliance is working to make a year of paid, full-time service — a service year — a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans. We envision a future in which national service is part of growing up in America.
To advance our mission, we focus on expansion, recruitment, and impact.
- Expansion: We build support from external stakeholders to make the recent expansions of national service successful in this new era.
- Recruitment: We bring the next generation of youth into national service, modernize their experience using ServiceYear.org, and align the field around shared recruitment efforts and systems.
- Impact: We foster collaborative approaches to demonstrate the impact of service years by lifting up exemplary programs and communities.
How to Work with Us
- Partner with us — as a youth-facing organization, an employer or higher education institution, a workforce development organization, or state and local leader looking to utilize national service.
- Become a champion — use your voice to lift up the power of service years to transform lives, strengthen communities, and fuel civic renewal.
- Fund us — join us in our effort to make a service year a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.