By visiting the SYx Site or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our SYx Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. The SYA Service Year Exchange Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
Information We Collect
We may collect information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our SYx Site or Services.
- Information We Collect Directly From You. Certain areas and features of our SYx Site and Services require registration. To register and create an account you must provide your name and email address. We also may collect additional optional information from you if you wish to create an individual (“Corps Member”) profile or an organization profile.
- Corps Member Profile. If you create a Corps Member profile, we will ask you to provide more data to facilitate finding positions that will meet your goals. It is entirely up to you how you complete your Corps Member profile, but information provided may include additional contact information, ethnicity, race, gender, age, language skills, service history, any certifications or qualifications, as well as your preferences or interests regarding the type of service opportunities you want.
- Organization Profile. If you create an organization profile, we will ask you to provide certain information about your organization so that we may validate the organization’s qualifications and approve it for posting positions.
- Donations. If you visit the SYx Site to make a donation then we will collect your name, credit or debit card information, and billing and shipping address. Then it is your choice whether to create an account. If you do, then we will request and maintain your name and email address. If you do not want to register, you may still donate, but we will need to keep your contact and transaction details so that we can provide you a donation receipt, and maintain a record of contributions. We engage a third party to process donations and associated payment information.
- Information that We Collect About You from Social Networking Sites. You also may log into our SYx Site through your Facebook account. If you do this, we obtain information from Facebook as follows:
- Facebook. If you log into our SYx Site using Facebook, you must enter your Facebook email address and password. We will ask that you grant us permission to access and collect your public profile data and email address. If you allow us to have access to this information, then we will have access to this information even if you have chosen not to make that information public. We store the information that we receive from Facebook with other information that we collect from you or receive about you.
Any third-party social networking site controls the information it collects from you. For information about their use and disclosure of your information, including any information you make public, please consult their respective privacy policies. We have no control over how any third-party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
- Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect the following information about your use of our SYx Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our SYx Site and or use our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our SYx Site, and the following: access time, browser type, domain name, IP address, page views and referring URL. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information. Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the SYx Site or our Services.
- To send you news and newsletters or to otherwise contact you about information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third-party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our SYx Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our SYx Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To comply with applicable legal obligations.
How We Disclose Your Information
We may disclose your information, including personal information, as follows:
- SYx Site Users. Your user name and any information that you post to our SYx Site, including, without limitation, your Corps Member or organization profile, blog posts, photos, reviews, comments, and text will be available to, and searchable by, all registered users of the SYx Site and Services and possibly to unregistered SYx Site visitors. Please see the section “User-Generated Content” below for more information about content you post to you our SYx Site.
- Affiliates. We may disclose your information to our affiliates or subsidiaries for research, marketing, and other purposes consistent with this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to vendors, service providers, contractors, agents, or others who perform functions on our behalf, such as our donation processor.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose your information to another entity if we are acquired by or merged with another entity, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another entity, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding.
- In Response to Legal Process. We may disclose your information in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, subpoena, court order, or other legal process.
- To Protect Us and Others. We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service or this Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may disclose aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms
- Do Not Track. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our SYx Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our SYx Site and Service. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our SYx Site.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity as well as for login sessions.
- Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our SYx Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the SYx Site, but some features may not function.
We invite you to post content on our SYx Site, including your comments, pictures, and any other information that you would like to be available on our SYx Site. If you post content to our SYx Site, all of the information that you post will be available to all visitors to or all registered users on our SYx Site depending on your choices. If you post your own content on our SYx Site or Services, your posting may become public and SYA cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
Our SYx Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
We have taken steps to help protect the information we collect about you from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your account by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the SYx Site for a period of time.
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under thirteen (13). If we discover that a child under thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at [email protected].
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our SYx Site. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our SYx Site, or emailing you at the email address you have in your profile.